Currently playing:

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Planet Harriers monitors fixed!

During the last Bay Area Shmupmeet, Segasonicfan pointed out what might be wrong with my Planet Harriers monitor colors. Turns out these are both Wells Gardner D9200 monitors, which apparently have been discontinued because they were poorly designed. It seems the neckboards would fry some transistors used to buffer the R/G/B video signal to the tube.

To confirm this might be the problem, I did a quick test. I swapped the neckboards between both monitors, and sure enough the color problems also swapped. Segasonicfan pointed out these three transistors as the culprit, which just so happens to have some burn and resoldering underneath, a clear indications that they have been replaced before.


Being the original transistor used is pretty uncommon, I was able to fine a suitable NTE replacement. I think I'll have to order a couple more just in case any other colors go out on me. Now finally I can actually get back to playing this cool game!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome news! I remember how the screens were all blue-tinted and fading. I also thought you were planning on selling this at some point too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I plan on moving out of this location by end of the year, and am not looking forward to moving it into my new home. But if I can't 1cc it by then (and there is enough room) I may hold onto it. :-)

    ReplyDelete